Saturday, October 20, 2007

Cub Scout Family Camp Overnighter

The weekend of October 19-20th, we went to Usery Park with Jake's cub scout pack and had a family camp out. We even left the camper at home and did it the real way for a change; with a brand new tent and everything! (which is really cool, by the way!) It took us less than five minutes to set it up. I was completely amazed! It's been nine yrs. since the last time I slept in a tent and it was cold, I hardly slept, but I tell you what, I had such a fun time! The kids ran around and played and made new friends and actually I got to make new friends too. We had a huge campfire and the packs performed goofy skits, and the cub master had an old flag and he performed a flag retiring ceremony. That was really different because I'd never actually seen the American flag being burned before. Somebody caught a freakishly huge tarantula and had it in a bucket for the kids to see then let it go again. We grilled our hot dogs and had s'mores and hot chocolate; stayed up late after the kids were in bed and laughed and just had a great time. Then in the morning after the coyote alarm went off, we got up, used one of the two port 'o johns, (yes, Bethany had to use the yucky potty!) we packed up and came home. It was great!








This is a video of the flag retiring ceremony. Click on the play button to view.

1 comments:

Nick's Mama Nance said...

That spider wasn't under your tent again was it?? hehe